Wednesday, December 10, 2008

TWD - Grandmas All Occasion Sugar Cookies

A big thank you to Küchenlatein for this weeks selection. This is a great recipe for December. I realize it's now Wednesday, but....here is my Tuesday with Dorie blog anyway...

I usually shy away from sugar cookies because rolling and cutting just isn't my thing. I'm not good at it and it frustrates me (perhaps I just need more practice). Anyway, I opted for the slice and bake method. I made the dough several days ago and placed it in the freezer. One suggestion on keeping the dough in a nice round log, is to save a paper towel roll and cut it open and put in inside. This way, you don't end up with a flat side. Once I was done with my dough and had 2 nice cookie logs, I realized I had NO empty paper towel rolls. It was time to improvise...lol. I had plenty of paper towels, so I used a full roll. It was kind of funny to watch me trying to stuff the dough into the full paper towel roll. Luckily I had the logs skinny enough to just fit. My dough stayed nice and round in the freezer and my paper towels are no worse off for being frozen.
Yesterday, I pulled out my logs and decided I would do the first half with colored sugar. I rolled the log in green sugar, sliced the cookies and then sprinked red sugar on top and baked. These turned out really well. I liked them so much that I almost did the same with the second batch. However, I resisted the urge to use the same route and opted for colored icing on the next batch. I sliced the cookies again and baked them plain. Once they had cooled, I made green Sugar Cookie Icing and spooned it onto the cookies. I then added colored sugar or bits of candy canes to some of the cookies and left others with only the frosting. I think they turned out great. I'm going to be making more of these this holiday season.

6 comments:

Flourchild said...

I could reach right through this computer and eat one of your tasty looking sugar cookies! Im proud of you for sticking with TWD selection for this week even if you don't like making sugar cookies. Girl I can't believe if you have the patience to scrapbook you don't have it for baking these cookies. I HATE scrapbooking and it drives me nuts!

Teanna DiMicco said...

WOAH! Empty paper towel roll! That's a great idea! And yours are shaped just perfectly!

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

You put the whole roll in?!? Awesome. I'm so glad to know that trick works.

Libby said...

These are so festive!

Stella said...

Hi Amanda!

Your baking looks incredible! I can almost taste it through the screen. Thanks for visiting me, and I will be back here soon to see what's cooking next!

Flourchild said...

Merry Christmas! I hope you have a wonderful time with your family. Take care and be safe!