Thursday, February 19, 2009

What's for dinner??

I have found that I like to try new recipes. I run into problems when we find recipes that the kids really like (tough problem - huh?) and they want that recipe over and over. How am I supposed to continue to try new recipes if the kids only want the items they are familiar with and KNOW that they will like?

Here is a recipe that I found back in the early fall and have made it several times. Sarah especially loves this. It's really easy to put together on a busy night and tastes great too.


Baked Ravioli

1 lb ground beef OR ground turkey OR Italian sausage
1 bag frozen cheese ravioli
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
28 oz jar spaghetti sauce

-Pre-heat oven to 350
-In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground meat, breaking up as it cooks: drain: stir spaghetti sauce into meat.
-Spread a small amount of meat mixture in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan.
-Layer 1/2 of the raviolis evenly in the bottom of the pan; sprinkle 1/2 of the remaining sauce over the raviolis; sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese over the sauce.
-Repeat layering once with remaining ingredients.
-Bake for 30 minutes.


This recipe is very easy to add veggies to if you would like. I always double the recipe and I often make to versions. I make a regular pan for the kids and then for the second pan I add red pepper flakes to my sauce to spice it up a bit and add some veggies as well. I usually just look into the fridge and add what ever I might have in the veggie drawer. I have added mushrooms, broccoli, squash, zucchini, onion, carrots, etc. It's really up to your tastes and imagination.

1 comment:

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

The recipe sounds wonderful! I know what you mean about fixing the same thing over and over....especially when my children were young. The best thing is that you don't waste $$ on something they wont eat. Blessings,Kathleen